LEE BURTON, PHd, ATC, CSCS
• Co-Founder of the Functional Movement Screen
• Former Program Director for Athletic Training at Averett University
• Lectures nationally and internationally in the fields of sports medicine and performance enhancement
• Doctorate degree from Virginia Tech with an emphasis in Health Promotion
Screening, Testing & Assessing: What Really Matters
As professionals, we understand the importance of screening, testing and assessing our clients and athletes prior to having them engage in physical activity. However, with all the different tests available to us, we should have an appreciation of what is truly important. It can be overwhelming to decipher not only which test or screen to perform, but also analyze what the data actually means. During this lecture, Lee will provide insight into how to determine what really matters. He will focus on previously collected data and research to offer solutions for what is important based on the population, goals and environment. This hands-on session will feature some of the most effective exercise solutions based on standard screening and testing results.
DUANE CARLISLE, MSc, MSCC
• President & Founder of Carlisle Performance Systems
• Performance Consultant to the NFL, PAC 12 and many other athletes
• Started the first full-time Sports Performance Facility- Lightning Fast Training Systems, LLC in Philadelphia
• Served as the Director of Sports Performance at Purdue University
• Former Strength & Conditioning Coach for the San Francisco 49ers
Mastering Negotiations – A Practical Approach for Fitness Professionals
The ability to negotiate is a big part of a fitness professional's life–from negotiating training rates, consulting contracts, salaries and leasing agreements. And yet, many fitness pros spend very little time mastering the skill of learning how to negotiate a win-win deal that leaves you feeling right about the arrangement you just entered.
Duane will share his battle-tested playbook for negotiating with professional and collegiate sports teams, corporations, and landlords, to name a few. In Coach Carlisle's hands-on session, participants will play a "Negotiating Game" aimed at helping one overcome fears and increasing one's ability to negotiate successfully.
GRAY COOK, MSPT, OCS, CSCS
• Co-Founder of the Functional Movement Screen
• Consultant for many universities and pro sports teams in all four major sports
• Lectures nationally and internationally in the fields of physical therapy, sports medicine and performance enhancement
• Board Certified Orthopedic Clinical Specialist with American Physical Therapy Association
• Practices physical therapy in Virginia and continues to publish in all areas relating to rehab and exercise
My Body, My Problem
In this session, Gray combines nearly 30 years of professional experience as both a healthcare professional and fitness professional with personal attempts to find balance and stay fit and healthy as an individual. He will explore why professionals often take better care of their clients and patients than they do of themselves. Are we lacking in education or resources or is it a lack of resourcefulness? Join Gray for this review of his personal checklist and refresh your perspective on your own movement health.
ALWYN COSGROVE, CSCS
• Owner of Results Fitness, a complete fitness programming and consulting service
• Founder of ResultsFitnessUniversity.com
• One of the Country’s most sought-after fitness professionals
• Author of New Rules of Lifting, New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong as well as numerous articles and publications
• Consultant for Rodale Publications and Men's Health magazine
What High Performing Gyms Have in Common
Having been running Results Fitness for 18 years and working with gyms all around the world this brand-new talk will cover the key things that the most successful gyms in the world have in common. It’s easy to see the differences but it's more valuable to see the commonalities. In this session, Alwyn will cover the key difference makers from systems, to program design to marketing. His hands-on will be an example of the type of programs that the good gyms are doing.
ERIC CRESSEY, MA, CSCS
• Owner of Cressey Sports Performance, with facilities in MA and FL
• Coach and Consultant to a wide variety of athletes, from youth sports to the professional and Olympic levels
• Off-season strength and conditioning coach to over 100 players, from every organization in Major League Baseball
• Consultant to New Balance
• Author of daily blog at EricCressey.com
How Posture Impacts Pain & Performance
Posture is one of the most controversial topics in the fields of health and human performance. In this presentation, Eric will look at the related research and present anecdotal evidence and case studies to bring some clarity to the debate on just how important having "good posture" - if it even exists - really is.
VINCENT GABRIELE, MS, CSCS, IYCA
• Founder of Gabriele Fitness & Performance in New Jersey
• Founder of Fitness Business University
• National Speaker and consultant on helping fitness professionals grow their business
The Most Important Hour in Fitness: The Consultation
"It’s the start that stops most people." In this presentation you will learn a proven and reliable method to running a new member consultation that will separate you from your competition. Learn the exact questions to ask in a consultation to get your members fired up and committed to working with you. Vince will go over how to evaluate new members in several disciplines that will lead to long term relationships, as well as work through getting your members started on a 90-day roadmap that will outline everything they need to do to change their life. This is essentially a sales system you can learn and implement into your business immediately and is perfect for gym owners looking to make more money and for personal trainers looking to get more clients. (Lecture Only)
JOHN GRAHAM, MS, ACSM EP-C CSCS*D, RSCC*D, FNSCA
• Senior Network Administrator, Fitness & Sports Performance, St. Luke's University Health Network
• Associate Editor, National Strength & Conditioning Association, Strength & Conditioning Journal
• Chapter Author for several books on Athletic Performance, Fitness & Chronic Disease, and Disability Management & Fitness
• Lectures nationally and internationally in the fields of sports performance, medical fitness & health fitness
Astonish Clients with Fitness Plans That Provide Staggering Outcomes
This workshop will empower you to construct programs for your clientele that surpass their targets and goals with evidence-based outcomes. Come discover how to employ technology driven assessment and programming systems to serve a disparate fitness & athletic clientele while maintaining a customized practice. John will provide resources and methods to enable your clients to reach their highest levels of fitness and performance. Attendees will leave with new approaches to training their clients.
JOSH HENKIN, CSCS
• CEO, Ultimate Sandbag Training
• Creator of the Ultimate Sandbag and the Dynamic Variable Resistance Training System
• Developer of US Army Special Forces Recruiting Battalion Fitness Preparation Program
• Consultant to professional and collegiate sports programs
Strong, Stable & Mobile Principles of Healthy Shoulders, Low Backs and Knees
This session is designed to help attendees understand the functional connection of shoulders, low backs, and knees. Understanding how the body actually functions in these chains will show you how quickly we can improve the strength, range of motion, and stability of these problematic areas. Learn how to establish a powerful foundation and how to progress these exercises that lead to better performance and injury resiliency.
IAN JEFFREYS, PhD, FNSCA, ASCC, RSCC*D, CSCS*D, NSCA-CPT*D
• Recognized as one of the United Kingdom’s leading strength and conditioning coaches
• A worldwide authority on speed and agility development
• Professor of Strength and Conditioning at the University of South Wales and Proprietor of All-Pro Performance, Brecon, Wales
• Author of six books including: Strength and Conditioning for Sports Performance, Gamespeed, Developing Speed & Soccer Speed
• Editor of Professional Strength & Conditioning, and Associate Editor of the Strength & Conditioning Journal & the Journal of Australian Strength & Conditioning
Going Back to the Future: Adding Conditioning Games to Your Training Repertoire
We can all probably remember a time that exercise was something we did just because it was fun and not for the results it can bring. For many this harks back to a time when we were young, and exercise typically involved playing games rather than something more formal. Unfortunately, the power of games has largely been forgotten in the modern training environment. Yet, incorporating games into training sessions and programs can be a powerful and time efficient tool to address a range of fitness parameters and increase engagement. This session will cover the fundamentals needed to add this powerful tool to your training repertoire and Ian will demonstrate how conditioning games can be applied in a range of training scenarios.
• Over 35 years teaching and coaching at the high school and collegiate levels
• American Record Holder, Weight Pentathlon, and National Champ (Masters) in Discus Throwing, Olympic Lifting and Weight Pentathlon
• Editor of Get Up! the free online newsletter for lifting and throwing
• Author of Never Let Go, Can You Go and Intervention
• Fulbright Scholar to the Middle East
Economics 101 & the Strength Coach
Elite Performance is all about balancing Cost-to-Benefit Ratios. There is a lot of cost in superior performance, but the lessons learned can help everybody else thrive in their training and workouts. From equipment selection to exercise choices and programming, a few simple minutes of thinking and reflection can save money, surgeries and synapses.
MARC LEBERT, NLP
• President of Lebert Fitness, a global leader in the development of training tools
• Certified NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) Practitioner
• Silver Lining Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2010
• NEOS International Personal Trainer of the Year
• Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Health Influencers by Opimyz Magazine
• Finalist, Canfitpro Fitness Professional of the Year 2012
• Member of the Canfitpro Fitness Advisory Panel
Revamp Your Bootcamp
Come experience portable equipment solutions for bodyweight strength training, agility, mobility, partner work and much more! Every major muscle and movement skill will be explored and challenged with the extremely versatile EQualizer®, ground based partner training with the Buddy System™ and crazy challenging calisthenics with the new Lebert Parallettes! All training is easily adaptable for personal training, group fitness and bootcamps. (Hands-On Only)
BRANDON MARCELLO, PhD, CSCS, PES, CES
• Currently tasked with defining the future of soldier performance for the US Department of Defense
• Over 20 years of experience in the area of athletic performance enhancement
• Formerly served as the Director of Sports Performance at Stanford University
• Served as the Director of Performance for USA Softball
• Helped create Athletes’ Performance (EXOS) with Mark Verstegen
Sleep: The Only True “Fix-All” of Health & Performance
Sleep has become a hot topic over the last 10 years, but is it really as powerful as we think? Are naps bad? Does alcohol help you sleep? Is it okay to sleep in? What about sleep apps and wearables? This lecture will provide details about sleep, its impact on health and performance, sleep mythology, and answer many more questions regarding this essential element to live and well-being. In the hands-on, Brandon will cover lateral speed development and go into detail of the exercises, progressions, prescription and implementation of movement in the frontal plane.
• Owner of Alloy, the highest revenue per square foot facility in the country since 1992
• CEO of Alloy Personal Training Solutions, a consulting and licensing company with over 900 clubs and licensees worldwide
• Board Member for: ACE, GFFA, AFS, GA State Univ. and Atlanta School of Fitness
• Contributor to multiple national publications, such as Men’s Health
7 Figure Small Group
My original training gym has been open for 25 years! In that time we have performed every type of coaching from 1 on 1 to virtual training and everything in between. The one type of training that has consistently differentiated us from other clubs/trainers is our small group format (2-6 people). We service well over $1 million in revenue in this type of training alone! Come learn our business systems, training protocols and why the small group structure is where things are really headed for great coaches and training clubs. It’s taken us 25 years to get it right, so please let me give you a massive shortcut to helping more people and making more money. (Lecture Only)
• Owner and Trainer, STRONGER Personal Training
• Social Media Business Consultant/Coach
• Co-Founder of the Secret Training Society
• Fitness Industry Advisory Board Member for AFS, KoKo FitClub, and Retro Fitness
• Co-Presented with Thomas Plummer on the Business of Fitness, Social Media Branding and Speaker Schools
Content Creating Ninja
In the ever-evolving world of Social Media, we all can agree that content is king. Frank will teach simple, effective, proven content creating strategies that you may use with your favorite social media platforms tomorrow. He will also navigate you through some of most effective ways to create raving fans, engage your current audience and ultimately drive them to your Fitness Brand or Business. Become a content creating ninja! In his hands-on session, come learn simple yet amazing total body mobility/activation techniques using Indian Clubs and Kettlebells while granting the best of a super-effective high energy workout built for you and your clients.
BRIAN NGUYEN, ATC, CSCS, CPT, SFMA
• Owner/Founder of Elementally Strong-a company cultivating greater connection to ourselves and our clients
• NASM Master Instructor
• Under Armour Training Team
• Former Athletic Trainer & Strength Coach for the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars and AFL's Los Angeles Avengers
• Athletic performance coach and positive influence to 2017’s highest-paid actor
Define Your Scorecard to Better Lead, Inspire and Empower!
Join Brian in this inspiring and practical experience for designing a fulfilling-life by shifting focus from skills to Value Provided. You will awaken to the power of caring, to the magic of being stronger by being softer, to the value of failure and the need for risk, to the positive effects of a culture of unity and cohesion as you cultivate loyalty and dedication to your system. The principles, strategies, wisdom and overall lessons within the lecture and hands-on sessions will guide you to develop a more effective client/athlete-centered approach for those under your guidance. In turn, helping you to master the art of highly effective, enlightened, and extraordinary leadership.
EVAN OSAR, DC, CMT, PES, CSCS
• Chiropractic Physician & Clinical Massage Therapist
• President, Chicago Integrative Movement Specialists
• Founder of Fitness Education Seminars, an education company with the mission of helping trainers and therapists recognize their role as a part of the solution to the health care crisis
• Developer of the Integrative Movement System™ - a principle-based approach to developing optimal and efficient posture and movement strategies
The 3 Myths and Best Strategy for Improving Hip Stability
If you work with clients or athletes with hip issues, you’ve likely learned that everyone has strong, overactive psoas and weak glutes, an increased lumbar lordosis, and need to strengthen their weak posterior chain. However, despite over two decades of focused attention to addressing these issues, hip problems continue to plague our clients and athletes. Additionally, we have seen an alarming increase in chronic hip issues including impingement issues, labral tears, and degenerative joint conditions in the younger and athletic populations. Unfortunately, one-size fits all rehabilitation and training approaches are not adequately addressing the underlying causes of most hip issues. This session will address the 3 common myths surrounding the hip based that lead to and perpetuate issues. From this information, you will discover the most important corrective and functional exercise strategies for improving chronic hip issues so that you help your clients and athletes release chronic tightness and simultaneously developing improved stability and function.
BILL PARISI, BBA, CSCS
•Founder and Chairman of Parisi Speed School, a 95+ location franchise network with over 300 Full-Time Performance Coaches
• Author of Success Patterns - Strategies to Building a Multimillion Dollar Training Business and “Don’t ‘Should’ On Your Kids: Build Their Mental Toughness”
• Recognized as one of the most successful personal training entrepreneurs in the world with a 25-year successful track record of consistent growth
• Built his original fitness business in 1992 from a $500 van and $50,000 in debt into a globally recognized organization with yearly sales in excess of 20 million dollars
Maximizing Speed & Power with Young Athletes & Adult Clients
In this session Bill will take a deep dive into the understanding of the different energy and movement systems that generate power. The information to be presented is based on both peer reviewed research and practical experience spanning more than 25 years of work with young and adult clients seeking to optimize sports performance. You will gain a foundational understanding of how to communicate proper techniques to increase rate of force production, as well as movement strategies for enhanced acceleration, change of direction, and maximum running speeds. Drill progressions for each movement strategy will be provided to give attendees a complete road map for programming. This is a must-see presentation for anyone working with clients who want to become more athletic and injury resilient, regardless of age or ability.
•Founder of the National Fitness Business Alliance
• Author of the 9 best selling business books in the history of the fitness industry
• Internationally acclaimed presenter and consultant
• Considered by many to be the most influential person working in the fitness industry today
Overcoming Under Earning – Making the Most You Can from What You Have
Professional coaches don’t make the money they are worth. We kill our earning potential by selling ourselves short using tools that are decades out of style and not efficient in today’s competitive fitness market. How much do you want to make during the next five years and how will you live up to this goal? This workshop is about how to create wealth as a professional coach and how to maximize your time, talent and energy through the coming years. Never sell yourself short again. Earn what you deserve and learn to max the most money living the dream as a professional trainer. (Lecture Only)
MARTIN ROONEY, MHS, PT, CSCS
• Founder of Training For Warriors, with over 300 affiliate locations in 28 countries
• Certified over 4,000 trainers worldwide in the Training For Warriors Certification
• Best Selling Author of Warrior Cardio, Training for Warriors, Train to Win, and Ultimate Warrior Workouts
• Consultant to numerous Professional Sport Teams, Division I Universities, Fortune 500 companies and Military Organizations
10 Ways to Inspire Your Clients (and Yourself) for Amazing Results
Want to inspire more people? Do you need to reignite your own “fire” for fitness? Martin, known as one of the most motivating coaches in the industry, will show you the 6 Mindsets and 10 Skill Sets needed to get the best out of your people. If you would love to connect with more people and build a bigger community around your program, you cannot afford to miss the tips and tactics of this energizing lecture and hands on.
GREG ROSE, DC
• Co-Founder of the Titleist Performance Institute (TPI) in Oceanside, CA
• Co-Host of the Golf Fitness Academy sponsored by Titleist on the Golf Channel
• Advisory Board Member for the National Pitching Association
• Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician and Fellow in the International Association of Clinical Acupuncture
Unlocking Mobility: How to Create Flexibility That Lasts
Mobility is one of the biggest challenges that fitness professionals face every day with their clients. Many times, nothing we do can help increase their overall range of motion. In this presentation, Dr. Rose will present the latest research on effective mobility programs that can be used by any fitness professional.
DON SALADINO, TPI-3, SFG II, SFB, RKC, FRC, NASM
• Owner of Drive fitness in NYC
• Fitness and wellness expert
• Sport and fitness advocate for Garden of life
• Partners in Garden of Life, Sport Playbook App, Epicured Meal Delivery & Greyson Clothiers
• Golf/fitness expert for Revolutiongolf.com
Deconstructing Social Media
Come learn how to monetize your business and marketing through social media. Watch how I almost quadrupled my media following in less than 6 months. Learn how I am scaling my business without taking on more overhead. Learn the nuts and bolts on how to put it all together. (Lecture Only)
MARCO SANCHEZ, CPT, LMT, CFSC
• Coach at Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning
• Senior Educator at Certified Functional Strength Coach
• Clinic Director at Movement As Medicine
• Former Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Worcester Sharks (AHL)
• National and international presenter and educator in personal training and performance enhancement
Variety Without Change
At MBSC, we’re often trying to create variety without change. We have our set philosophies and exercise beliefs, but we understand that general population clients can often feel stagnant without the presence of new exercises. We regularly do our best to serve them the same meal, just on a different plate. This hands-on demonstration will utilize tools and exercises that will allow us to stick to the script, while satisfying the desire to experiment. (Hands-On Only)
DANA SANTAS, E-RYT, CSCS
• Mobility, Breathing & Mind/Body Coach for pro teams, including the Orlando Magic, Houston Texans, Minnesota Twins, Tampa Bay Rays, Atlanta Braves, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, & Tampa Bay Lightning, as well as dozens of individual athletes in MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA & PGA
• Mobility Consultant to World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE)
• Author of the Book “Practical Solutions for Back Pain Relief”
• Exclusive Yoga Expert for CNN
• Featured in national/international media, including Sports Illustrated, ESPN Radio, Men’s Health, Self Magazine, Prevention, Shape, Oxygen, and more.
Why Breathing Biomechanics Are A Game Changer: Breathe Better to Move, Think & Perform Better
Breathing is a hot topic these days—and, rightfully, so, as it not only profoundly impacts our psychology and physiology but also our posture, mobility, stability and strength. Not everyone understands how to unlock and harness the power of breathing. In this session, you’ll learn game-changing ways to optimize diaphragm function so you can leverage breathing as our most fundamental movement pattern, enhancing the quality of virtually all other movement patterns—as well as positively impacting our ability to focus, react and rest. Want better t-spine mobility, shoulder flexion, or internal hip rotation? Dana will cover all of this and more.
RICHARD ULM, DC, MS, CSCS
• 15+ years of strength training experience
• International Instructor for Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization (DNS)
• Presents nationally to strength coaches, trainers, PTs and physicians about weightlifting, rehabilitation and performance training
• Team Physician for Columbus Weightlifting Club & Project Lift
• Head treating physician at Columbus Chiropractic & Rehabilitation Center
Questioning Tradition: Is the Squat Overrated?
Squatting is regarded by many in the profession as the king of lower body exercises. But is it really the best exercise to improve an athlete’s performance? In some cases, the answer may be yes, but for most, the answer is definitively, no. There are many other options that are not only more effective for improving sports performance, but safer as well. In the lecture Rich will demonstrate how squatting is often over-used, ineffective and even deleterious to the athlete, both in regards to performance and injury. He will lay out an argument for why this is the case and then provide substitutions for the squat, to help strength coaches and trainer better prepare their athletes for performance.
PATRICIA VANGALEN, MS, CFSC
• Owner, Active & Agile…Maximizing Mobility Through the Ages
• Over 40 years’ experience in personal training, lecturing, teaching and lifestyle coaching
• Consultant to corporate hospital and executive health fitness and industrial injury risk reduction programs
• Conducts workshops and certification courses both nationally and internationally on training, for resilience, durability and purpose in daily life
Fast to Slow…Where Did My Power, Speed & Agility Go?
The neuromotor abilities get hit the hardest with aging. Gait speed is slower, power production is lower, and quickness/reaction is diminished. Fall risk, fear of falling and fall injury risk increase along with careful mobility and over-thinking. Is this a result of aging, sedentary living, lack of stimulus or a combination? Come gain new insights into the biology of aging, and rethink training, activity and lifestyle interventions to elicit gains in movement-mobility longevity and health span over the life span.
LANCE WALKER, MS, PT
• Current Global Director of Michael Johnson Performance
• NIKE Master Trainer
• Performance coach, registered physical therapist, adjunct professor and clinical instructor with over 25 years of sports performance training and sports medicine experience spanning over 30 professional, elite, collegiate, and high school sports
• Coached a wide range of athletes, ranging from Olympic Gold Medalists, World Champions, World Record Holders, Champion League Stars & Hall of Famers
Age-Specific Strength Training: Optimizing Your Approach to Programming, Prescriptions and Progressions for Youth Ages 8-18
Parents, kids, and coaches all want the same thing: to be better for their sport, less injured, and faster/more powerful. Strength training has assumed the role of "silver bullet" when it comes to delivering on these promises from training in adults, and now has become a staple to any youth training program. Lance will expose the new science and extensive practical data that sheds light on how we might make the strength training process more efficient and effective for kids ages 8-18. He will cover several key resistance training progressions while tweaking "adult-based" exercise prescriptions to optimize the outcomes for long-term athletic development.
NICK WINKELMAN, PhD, XPS, CSCS*D
• Head of Athletic Performance & Science, Irish Rugby Football Union
• Former Director of Education and NFL Combine Lead, EXOS
• Peer reviewed publications through the NSCA, UKSCA, and IDEA
• Doctorate in coaching science, skill learning, and speed development
Decision Making Under Uncertainty: How Behavioral Economics Can Make You A Better Coach
As coaches, trainers and therapists we make countless decisions on a daily basis. However, have you ever wondered what sits behind this decision-making process? Have you ever asked why you decided to make decision A when you could have also made decision B, C or D? While we may feel that this decision is completely within our control, this may in fact be a wonderful trick of the human mind. In this presentation, Nick will look at the biases and mental short-cuts that we are hard wired to use when making decisions. He will discuss the positive and negative aspects of this automatic process and share insights into strategies that can make us all better decision makers when faced with uncertainty. During the hands-on, Nick will explore the interaction between cues and drills as he shares his approach to developing multidirectional speed within the modern athlete.
TODD WRIGHT, CSCS, FAFS
• Assistant Coach – Head of Strength and Conditioning, Philadelphia 76’ers
• Fellow of Applied Functional Science
• Founder and owner of Train 4 the Game, a functional training and performance center in Austin, TX
• Over 20 years of coaching experience in collegiate basketball (Clemson and Texas)
• Consulted for Nike Global Basketball, Nike SPARQ and the Nike Performance Council
In this presentation, Todd will show you how to take any exercise and three dimensionalize it. He will provide the knowledge of why and show the core matrices and movement patterns that he has used with his athletes, as well as with general fitness populations. Come learn how the principles of Human Movement and Applied Functional Science drive the strategy of the Matrix and why it is such an important piece of knowledge to have in the Functional Training world.