Thursday, August 25, 2022 Optional Check-In and Registration 1:00 PM - 4:00PM
Friday, August 26, 2022 8:00 AM - 6:30PM
Saturday, August 27, 2022 8:00 AM - 5:30PM
Sunday, August 28, 2022 8:00 AM - 12:15PM
Rhode Island Convention Center 1 Sabin Street Providence, RI 02903
Room: Grand Ballroom A
Omni Hotel 1 West Exchange Street Providence, RI 02903 (401) 598-8000
*$189 Single/Double Discounted Rate. Please mention "Perform Better" when reserving your room. Must reserve by July 25, 2022. *Room blocks are limited availability. No guarantees. Hotel may become SOLD OUT at any time.
Early Bird Special - $289 (prior to July 28, 2022)
Registration Price - $359
DAILY SCHEDULE: (Click below for full printable PDF)
PRESENTERS & TOPICS:
• International Presenter & Founder of FitBiz Mastery
• Founder and Franchiser of Journey 333
• Best Selling Author
Level Up Your Leadership
This is for fitpros and business owners. "A leader of one or a leader of many. If you can't lead one, then you can't lead any." The leadership requirements are different in today's times compared to what they were pre-pandemic. Getting people off the couch has become more difficult. The competition from at home workouts is stronger than ever. In pre-pandemic times we were able to get away with spending a majority of our time coaching. In today's market, we are being called to focus more on the things that grow the business. If you are looking for business growth then come to this session and explore over 20 revenue streams and over 20 forms of marketing. Get strategic about your finances. Systemize your operations. Level up your leadership. (Lecture Only)
Magic Moments Create Memorable Sessions
Everyday we experience approximately 100,000 moments. Groups of moments create experiences. Some experiences have emotions attached to them and get stored as memories. The memories we have about a business form our relationship to that business. Your programming is useless if it is not memorable. Learn to create magic moments that make your sessions memorable. (Hands-On Only)
MICHAEL BOYLE, MA, ATC
• Internationally recognized expert in strength and conditioning
• Former Strength and Conditioning Consultant and Coach for the Boston Red Sox and the US Gold Medal Olympic Teams in Women's Soccer and Women's Hockey
• Currently owns and operates Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning
The Cost of Exercise
Is all exercise good? Are some exercises better? Mike will examine the idea of "orthopedic cost" in the worlds of fitness and strength and conditioning. This has been a controversial topic in the past year that merits more discussion. This lecture will aid coaches and trainers to make the best decisions for their athletes and clients about progressions and regressions.
KEVIN CARR, CFSC, LMT
• Co-Founder of Certified Functional Strength Coach and Movement As Medicine
• Coach and General Manager at Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning
• International educator for Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning and Certified Functional Strength Coach
A Trainer’s Guide To Coaching The Back Pain Client
In this presentation, Kevin will discuss the training and communication techniques that they use at Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning and Movement As Medicine to help the chronic back pain client excel in the gym and return to the activities that they love. Kevin will discuss how to understand “non-specific low back pain”, how to collaborate most effectively with a health care professional so the client wins and teach you how to develop resilience and tolerance with progressive exercise and communication.
GRAY COOK, MSPT, OCS, CSCS
• Founder of Functional Movement Screen
• Author of Athletic Body in Balance and Movement
• Pushes professionals and enthusiasts to creatively re-think movement behavior
The Business of Movement
The business of movement is about identifying the factors of movement that can be changed and the factors that cannot be changed. Teaching, training, coaching, and rehabilitation exist to connect individuals with their physical bodies and help them understand the responsibilities of a life lived moving well and often. We discover and create opportunities to better manage physical situations and today’s movement readiness and tomorrow’s movement risks are the best and first gauges to watch.
Readiness: Establishing the current rate of movement competency has huge value when movement counts today. What are your baselines for readiness? Yesterday and tomorrow don’t count today.
Risk: Establishing the risks of tomorrow’s movement competency has huge value when movement counts in your future. What are your baselines for risks? Yesterday and today can only positively influence tomorrow if you know what to do with the information they offer.
The business of movement risk and readiness can help you and your clients see what is appropriate or inappropriate for today and what must be cultivated for tomorrow. It’s not difficult, just different in a measurably productive way. Movement professionals in the future must be more proactive with systems for readiness and risks. Be one of them or compete against them.
GERALYN COOPERSMITH, MA, CSCS*D
· Head of Talent & Programming for Forme, a new connected fitness product offering video on demand classes and live 1:1 personal training
· Held senior leadership roles at Equinox, Nike, Flywheel and EXOS
· Exercise Physiologst with over 30 years in the fitness industry
Reigniting Your Spark: How to Find Long-Term Career Satisfaction in the Fitness Industry
You probably became a fitness professional because you are passionate about fitness and have a strong desire to help others. Unfortunately over time, lack of direction, financial instability and the daily grind of the job may have dampened your enthusiasm making you feel burned out and stagnant in the career you once loved. Join Geralyn Coopersmith as she shares proven strategies for: identifying what YOU most want, rekindling your drive -- and designing the career of your dreams! (Lecture Only)
ALWYN COSGROVE, CSCS
• Owner of Results Fitness, a complete fitness programming and consulting service
• Founder of ResultsFitnessUniversity.com
• One of the Country’s most sought-after fitness professionals
Training the Beginner
70% of new clients that walk through your gym door are complete beginners. And the rest? Well if they haven't trained with you before in YOUR system, then it's new to them. That means they are beginners too. This course will cover how to develop, design and implement the first 30 days of a new clients program, and look at progressions, regressions for every exercise.
RACHEL COSGROVE, CSCS, CISSN
• Co-owns and operates Results Fitness, in their 19th year of business
• 2012 IDEA Personal Trainer of the Year
• Consultant for Nike, Livestrong.com, and Women’s Health
Easy To Implement Strategies To Attract Your Ideal Clients
It's common to get overwhelmed with marketing. Most fitness pros know they need to market but it's last on their list of favorites. Not making marketing a priority is keeping you from growing your business and helping more people. Rachel will break through the confusion of Facebook ads, google analytics and search engines to go over easy to do marketing strategies that don't take a lot of time or cost a lot of money. Commit to using these strategies and you'll have more of your ideal clients flooding to your business than ever before. So you attracted your ideal clients, now what? We train! In Rachel’s hands-on, she will focus on the types of workouts she uses with general population endurance teams to get ready for 5K's, triathlons and Obstacle course races covering everything from strength programming and plyometric progressions leading into running technique.
TODD DURKIN, MA, CSCS, NCTMB
• Founder of Fitness Quest 10 (San Diego, CA)
• Lead Training Advisor, Under Armour
• Named one of the Top 100 Most Influential People in Health & Fitness, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015
ENERGY AMPLIFIED: Turn it Up & Live Your Best Life…NOW!!!
If there was ever a time to infuse more energy, positivity, and connectivity into your business & life, it’s now. People are empty, lost, burnt-out, depressed, and more broken than ever before. That means there’s never been a better time to change lives, impact lives, & infiltrate hope, optimism, belief, and energy in people than right NOW. In this session, Todd will help you dig deep, resurrect your passion, and get lit-up from the inside-out. He will teach you how to live with even more passion & purpose than ever before and how to not let fear guide your decisions or stop you from living your biggest dreams. Come let Todd challenge, motivate, and inspire you to live your best life.
SUE FALSONE, PT, MS,SCS, ATC, CSCS, COMT, RYT
• Director of Movement and Return to Performance for the Houston Texans
• Owner / Founder of Structure and Function Education
• Associate Professor, Athletic Training, A.T. Still University
• Author: Bridging the Gap from Rehab to Performance
Yoga for Athletes- The Mind/ Body/ Breath Connection
The practice of yoga has been around for centuries. While all types of yoga are built off similar principles, all yoga styles are not created equal. In this session, Sue will discuss historical significance as it relates to modern concepts of training. Why, when and how should you incorporate yoga with your clients? Come to this session to find out.
VINCENT GABRIELE, MS, CSCS, IYCA
• CEO at Vince Gabriele Media
• Author of 6 Fitness Business Books including The Ultimate Guide To Marketing Your Gym And The Ultimate Guide to Sales For Your Gym
• Founder of New Jersey Based Personal Training Gym, Gabriele Fitness And Performance
How To Get Your Next 20 Small Group Personal Training Clients in 30 Days
Do you want to get more small group personal training clients? Vince unpacks the exact marketing formula he teaches to gym owners all over the world about how to get more small group personal training clients. The advice, which involves 5 secrets...is shockingly simple and most of the strategies do not require spending a lot of money. If getting more clients and making more money is your goal, this is a can't miss session. (Lecture Only)
JASON GLASS, BHK, CSCS, TPI
• Coach & Consultant for PGA Tour, MLB, NFL, NHL and Extreme Sport Athletes
• Head of TPI Fitness Advisory Board and TPI Lead Presenter
• Host of the Coach Glass Podcast & Creator of LoadXplode Certifications/Workshops
Rotational Speed ACTIVATE!
Combining rotational plyometrics with neuromuscular training and maximizing ground force production will help you produce the most explosive rotational athletes on the planet! In this session you will learn Coach Glass’ training philosophy, techniques and exercises that you can use to turn any athlete into a rotational Tasmanian Devil doused in rocket fuel! You will leave with new exercises that you can instantly add to your programs that will make your clients load and explode. Coach Glass will also inspire your inner coach with his passion and the “edumatainment” that he packs into every minute of his lecture and hands on sessions. You will learn a ton and have way too much fun in the process!
JOSH HENKIN, CSCS
• CEO, Ultimate Sandbag Training and Creator of the Ultimate Sandbag and the Dynamic Variable Resistance Training System
• Has been teaching continuing education programs for over 15 years in 13 countries, including kettlebells in Russia
• Consulted and created programs for all populations from US Marines, to Division 1 programs, to hospital wellness programs
Why You Aren't Programming Functional Training Correctly
Most think functional training is a good idea, but the reality is they don't trust it can provide the fitness and performance results they want to achieve with their clients. That is because the majority of functional training programs miss the unique and valuable concepts that make functional training a powerful tool in achieving performance, injury resilience, and aesthetic goals. Discover how understanding functional training means thinking about how we program our training differently and provides us great opportunities to create smarter solutions.
• 45 years coaching experience in strength and conditioning
• Senior Lecturer, St. Mary’s University, Twickenham University
• Fulbright Scholar and All-American Discus Thrower
Bounce: Resilience & the Strength Coach
Life can punch you in the mouth and knock you down. The skill set learned in the weight room can, to quote the poet Chumbawamba, teaches you to get knocked down "but get up again...and I'm never going to let you down." From simple things like "embrace the obvious" to literally choosing exercises to practice getting back up again, this workshop and hands on will get you thinking about a much better way to train.
IAN MANNING, MSPT
• Physical Therapist, Orthopedic Specialist
• Owner of OrthoCore Physical Therapy
• Titleist Certified Medical and Fitness Professional
Strength Training and Performance for the 50+ Population
Training clients as they age can be complicated but they don’t have to be treated like fine pieces of China. In this session, Ian will show you how to adapt your approach to this population to continue to help them achieve their fitness and performance goals without risking injury.
BRANDON MARCELLO, PhD, RSCC*E
• Over 25 years of experience in the field of human performance working with Olympians, professional and Division I athletes, and the U.S. Military
• Helped create Athletes’ Performance (EXOS) with Mark Verstegen
• Currently the lead performance strategist for the Department of Defense’s Optimizing the Human Weapons System (OHWS) project.
Wearable Technology – The Good, The Bad, The Insights, and The Error
With the potential to change people’s lifestyles and improve their wellbeing, decisions, and behaviors, the physiological monitoring industry is investing billions of dollars into the development of wearable technologies. It is estimated that worldwide smart wearable device sales will double by 2022, becoming a $27 billion+ market. It is because of this that our clients and athletes are leaning on these devices to better inform them about their exertion, sleep, and recovery. In this presentation we will discuss many of the most popular wearable devices, what they do well, what they say they do well but don’t, and how to guide your clients through the information, errors, and inaccuracies.
MICHAEL MULLIN, ATC, PTA, PRC
• Owner, Integrative Rehab Training LLC
• Internationally recognized lecturer and consultant
• Clinical Adjunct Faculty at University of New England
Establishing Baselines While Building Competency
Clients present to us in a multitude of different ways. From those who are fairly athletic and coordinated to those whom we need to set the bar fairly low. In either case, there are some things which can be introduced to help establish a better baseline for their system to support not only the day’s training session, but also life’s daily challenges. This lecture will help the attendee gain an appreciation for the body’s normal internal biases’, help establish what the client’s particular limitations are and then discuss activities which can help progress them to managing increasing challenges. The hands-on session will review some simple assessments which can be introduced, interventions to increase the client’s performance options as well as some programming progressions to help build capacity.
• Owner of STRONGER, Worcester MA
• Co-Founder of the Secret Training Society
• Partner at dotFIT and Consultant for numerous fitness brands
The 10 Commandments of Fitness Coaching
Join Frank as he takes you on a journey through his countless experience of the last 23 years inside clubs all over the globe, describing what magic separates the ok, the good and the great coaches and coaching. This session will be great for owners, managers and trainers. In his hands-on, he will show you exactly what it takes to make a workout experience great!
MIKE PERRY, NSCA, FMS, USA-W, SFG 1+2, SFL
• Co-owner and founder of Skill of Strength
• Course instructor for Functional Movement Systems
• Strongfirst Senior Instructor
Principles of Program Design
Programming for rehabilitation and fitness is about more than sets and reps. It's important to understand our clients' “why” before we start writing their program. Do you know what your client wants and needs? Do you know their schedule and what access they have to equipment? What's their training experience/history? Join Mike as he digs deeper into key components of a client/coach relationship and how to create a sustainable and systematic approach to program design.
MARTIN ROONEY, MHS, PT, CSCS
• Founder of Training For Warriors, with over 200 affiliate locations in 20 countries
• Certified over 4,000 trainers worldwide in the Training For Warriors Certification
• Best Selling Author of Coach to Coach, High Ten, Warrior Cardio, and Training for Warriors
• Consultant to numerous Professional Sport Teams, Division I Universities, Fortune 500 companies and Military Organizations
How to Coach for Culture
Have you been “grinding” in a gym the last two years and wondering why you aren’t as successful as some other fitness pros? That’s because today your biggest competitive advantage isn’t providing a cool workout or your fitness knowledge. It’s your culture! After helping hundreds of gyms around the world build contagious cultures, Martin Rooney shares his secrets on how to develop an environment that not only reignites your business, but rekindles your fire for fitness too.
GREG ROSE, DC
• Engineer and Doctor of Chiropractic
• Co-Founder of the Titleist Performance Institute (TPI), OnBase University, and RacquetFit
• Co-Owner of Functional Movement Systems
Training Ground Force Reactions in Rotary Athletes - the Key to Power
In this talk, Dr. Rose will discuss how rotary athletes use the ground to create power and how you can train this in the gym. He will discuss how to test ground forces with high-tech force plates and how you can simulate that in the gym with no special equipment. Learn how to unlock the secret to efficient power, by maximizing your athletes ground force reactions.
DON SALADINO, TPI-3, RKC, FRC, NASM
• Owner of Drive Fitness in NYC
• One of the most sought after coaches in the world, with a high-profile clientele roster ranging from professional athletes to celebrities and business moguls
• Men’s Health Advisory Board Member as well as launched multiple digital platforms and is the founding partner in half a dozen brands
How to Monetize An Online Fitness Business
Come see Don’s 5-Step approach to monetizing a fitness business and learn how to get started, how to create systems and open up new business opportunities. He will discuss action stepst o take, as well as cover marketing, networking, and forming new business relationships. In this session, Don will show you how to take an idea from concept to launch. (Lecture Only)
Superhero Training: How I Get My Actors Cover Ready
In this hands-on session, Don will walk you through his ways of meshing the worlds of performance and physique. These are the same systems he uses to help create some of Hollywood’s best superhero physiques. (Hands-On Only)
• Lectures domestically and internationally in the fields of Biomechanics, Training Design, Motor Learning, and Speed and Power Development
• Coached national champions, world champions and Olympic medalists in Track and Field, and possesses 12 years of experience in NFL player development
• Consults regularly with programs of all sports and levels in the areas of Training and Program design
• 35 years of coaching experience at the high school, collegiate and professional levels
Knee Injuries – Rehab and Return to Play Planning
In this presentation, Coach Schexnayder will review and detail a systematic, step by step rehabilitation plan for common knee injuries. He will discuss key principles underlying and supporting the rehabilitation and return to play training, with an emphasis on proper redevelopment of speed and power. We will examine proper sequencing of training, the need for eccentric work, critical areas to attack and avoid, and anatomical limitations. The session will close with a discussion of typical timelines for return to top performance and the need for specificity in the rehabilitation program.
KERRY TAYLOR, CSCS, HKC
• Founder and Owner of 212 Health and Performance
• One of the creators of Power Up Recovery
• Best selling author and Speed & Conditioning Director for the state of RI
Deciphering the Kettlebell Matrix
Kettlebells are an amazing tool to have in your tool box to help change your clients' lives, but teaching how to use them properly can be a challenge. Before you can turn a client loose with kettlebells, you must ensure safe and effective technique. In this hands-on session, you will not only learn how to perform all the basic kettlebell movements, but more importantly, how to teach them to your clients in minutes. What do cues like "don't break the glass" and "snap the towel" have to do with kettlebells? Come find out. You'll walk out of this session armed with shortcuts and cues to teach a client of any age, shape and size. (Hands-On Only)
PETER TWIST, MSc
• Founder of Twist Performance & Wellness
• NHL and Olympic sports performance coach
• Author/contributor to over 500 papers, 20 books and manuals, 44 DVD
• 2013 IDEA World Fitness Inspiration Award
• 2015 Inductee to the USA Fitness Hall of Fame
Resiliency& Adaptability- Mind + Body
A mindset for 2022! In life and career, disruption and difficulty define our most recent years. The ability to persevere and manage change or loss are SKILLS needed our entire lifespan. Learn key mindset methods and actionable strategies that ease your path and find opportunity in difficulty. A must for every leader, Coach Twist shares success formulas for when you must overcome, shift, and build new paths. Learn also the top biohacking tips to make your physical body resilient, from the healthiest inputs to training techniques you can deploy in the trenches. In his hands-on, Pete will get your mind in the game! Let him show you methods that combine prevention and performance goals that will keep clients off the sidelines and in the game they love to play.
RICHARD ULM, DC, MS
• 20+ years in the fitness industry and former strength coach and national level track and field athlete
• 10 years as a sports physician treating athletes of all levels from local/novice to world champions and professionals
• Teaches strength training, rehabilitation, anatomy and biomechanics all over the world for Athlete Enhancement
Training Effectively without Low Back Injury
Lower back injuries are amongst the most prevalent injuries in sports often resulting loss of training time and even ending athletes’ careers. Much of this prevalence is due to antiquated traditions deeply rooted in the strength and conditioning profession. It is possible, however, to train effectively whilst reducing athletes’ risk of injury to their lower backs. In this presentation, Dr. Ulm, a former strength coach, nationally competitive athlete, and now a physician with over a decade of experience treating athletes, will cover several rules that strength & conditioning professionals can use to not only reduce the number of lower back injuries their athletes sustain, but to do so without compromising their performance.
LANCE WALKER, MS, PT
• Vice President and Global Director of Michael Johnson Performance
• Over 25 years of professional experience (i.e., making and learning from mistakes) while training, testing, and rehabilitating thousands of athletes across all ages and sports, including many of the fastest athletes to walk the planet in the last 20 years
• Diverse background of "practice" in research, physical therapy, performance training, and strength & conditioning spanning across high school, collegiate, Olympic, and professional sport
Around the World in 75 Minutes: 12 Training Secrets Stolen from International High Performance Sport Coaches
The world of performance training is moving fast...and not just here in the USA. Learnings from 25 years of international sports performance training will be shared, covering all aspects of coaching including culture, coaching, and communication. Specific take-home and use practical programming will be shared that come from high performance teams, coaches, and clubs from South America, the Carribbean, Asia, and Europe. Expand your perspective and learn some practical applications for your training, coaching, and leadership with this behind-the-scenes look into the international world of high-performance sport.
CHARLIE WEINGROFF, DPT, ATC, CSCS
• World Renowned Physical Therapist and Performance Coach
• Director of Physical Performance, Men's Canadian National Basketball Team
• Former Strength & Conditioning Coach, Philadelphia 76ers, NBA
Lateralizations & Regressions: A System of How Trainers, Coaches and Therapists Work Together
It is more and more common that clients in pain or challenging physical characteristics choose fitness professionals to guide their solutions. Often it is obvious that these clients can't safely execute all the exercises in a great program because of their injuries or pain. Referring out to health care professionals should still fit under the same umbrella of values and priorities as the fitness professional, and Lateralizations & Regressions provides that system for all proper professionals to work together for the benefit of the client.
NICK WINKELMAN, PhD, XPS, CSCS*D
• Head of Athletic Performance & Science, Irish Rugby Football Union
• Author of The Language of Coaching: The Art & Science of Teaching Movement
• Former Director of Training Systems & Education at EXOS
Stop Talking and Start Coaching
Imagine that you were invited to present at Perform Better. On the invitation, you see that you can present on one of two topics: (1) present on how you individualize your training program to meet the client's needs or (2) present on how you individualize your coaching and communication to meet the client’s needs. Which topic do you choose? Even though we, the coach, spend far more time coaching than we do programming, many of us would much rather present on Topic 1 - why is this? How can it be that we know so little about something we do so often? Together we will change this, we will make the invisible visible, and we will learn to elevate HOW we coach to the same level as WHAT we coach. In doing so, we will unlock results that were hiding in plain sight!
TODD WRIGHT, CSCS
• VP of Player Performance / Assistant Coach for the LA Clippers
• FAFS – Fellow of Applied Functional Science
• Founder and owner of Train 4 the Game, a functional training and performance center in Austin, TX
• Over 24 years of coaching experience in collegiate basketball (Clemson, Univ. of Texas and Philadelphia 76ers)
• Lectures nationally in the fields of Functional Training and Sports Performance
The Foot 101
Our body is a vertical column placed on a horizontal platform. That platform consists of 26 bones, 33 joints and over 100+ muscles….Your foot. Learn the uniqueness to this structure and its importance to the rest of our entire kinetic chain. Hear the stories of past athletes that led me to understanding how important the understanding of the foot structure is. Could your big toe actually cause your low back pain? You will also learn how to assess your client and athlete’s feet both locally and globally through functional testing. You will see live foot dysfunctions and how those dysfunctions cause other problems up the kinetic chain. Examine what happens when the foot enters into the ground and how the chain reaction mechanics to the foot unleash the rest of the body to load and perform optimally. In the hands on, Todd will show you how to prepare the foot through 3D mobility and flexibility techniques specific to the foot. Learn the systematic approaches of 3D locomotion and 3D balance escalation to keep all your clients and athletes feet healthy.
Perform Better's Functional Training Summit is designed to provide trainers, coaches, and therapists with a combination of lectures and hands-on learning experience with many of the top professionals in the industry.
The presenters will include many of the most respected names in training, conditioning, and rehabilitation.
Attendees will have a choice of two lectures and two hands-on sessions every 90 minutes. Sign up for each presentation is not required; however, space may be limited for select hands-on sessions. Friday night complimentary social with the opportunity to network and exchange ideas.
Personal Trainers, Physical Therapists, Athletic Trainers, Coaches & anyone interested in learning more about the latest concepts in Functional Training and Rehabilitation.
NSCA - 1.9
NASM - 1.4
A full refund can be issued if cancelled 21 days prior to the event.