How to Become That Public Speaker You Always Dreamed of Becoming - with Thomas Plummer
Thursday, June 4 from 1:00pm - 5:00pm
This four-hour workshop is your introduction to how to get started as a public speaker that matters. Taught by Thomas Plummer, considered by many to be the most influential speaker in his long career in fitness and business coach to most of the major coaches in the industry, this workshop is your place to learn and plan out a financially successful career of speaking.
Fitness Career 2020 - with Alwyn Cosgrove
Thursday, June 4 from 1:00pm - 5:00pm
This session is designed to help you set clear objectives for your fitness career. If you're just starting out, are lost and need to regroup, or have been doing this for a while and are ready to transition to the next step, this is the perfect starting point. Alwyn Cosgrove will cover big picture thinking, business models and delivery systems, and changes that are coming in 2020 and beyond.
Rosen Plaza Hotel 9700 International Drive Orlando, FL 32819
Rooms: Grand Ballroom A & B
Rosen Plaza Hotel 9700 International Drive Orlando, FL 32819 (407) 996-9700 * $155 Single/Double Discounted Rate. Please mention "Perform Better" when reserving your room. Must reserve by May 13th! * Room blocks are limited availability. No guarantees. Hotel may be SOLD OUT at any time.
Early Bird Special - $289 (prior to April 23, 2020)
Pre-Registration Special - $359 (prior to May 21, 2020)
Registration - $389
PRESENTERS & TOPICS:
• International Presenter & Founder of FitBiz Mastery
• Founder and Franchiser of Journey 333
• Best Selling Author
Are you struggling to grow your business? Do you find that you are losing members to the competition? The solution is to implement extraordinary customer care systems that differentiate you from the competition. In this session you will learn over 20 world class customer care systems to help you retain your members and combat the competition. In the hands-on session you will learn how to bring all the benefits of one on one training into the group setting. Come to this session if you want to learn to train the group like you train the individual and differentiate yourself from the competition.
MICHAEL BOYLE, MA, ATC
• Internationally recognized expert in strength and conditioning
• Former Strength and Conditioning Consultant for the Boston Red Sox and the US Gold Medal Olympic Teams in Women's Soccer and Women's Hockey
• Currently owns and operates Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning
More and more facilities are adding youth training programs as a new revenue opportunity. Unfortunately, too many are trying to apply the same methodologies that they use with adults. Few understand that children aren't miniature adults and shouldn't be trained like them. Join Coach Boyle as he shares the successful programming (and time management strategies) his team uses at MBSC to train kids safely, efficiently and effectively.
LEE BURTON, PHd, ATC, CSCS
• Co-Founder of the Functional Movement Screen
• Former Program Director for Athletic Training at Averett University
• Lectures nationally and internationally in the fields of sports medicine and performance enhancement
A New Look at Corrective Strategies
The concept of corrective exercise isn’t a new one. Unfortunately, many of us continue to struggle to achieve and maintain the results we know our clients, athletes and patients need. During this session Lee introduces self-awareness screens, drills and exercises designed to help individuals gauge their own movement ability. With increased awareness clients can provide valuable input on the effectiveness of their corrective strategies and partner with professionals in the creation, modification and ultimate success of their programs.
KEVIN CARR, CFSC, LMT
• Co-Founder of Certified Functional Strength Coach and Movement As Medicine
• Coach and General Manager at Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning
• International educator for Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning and Certified Functional Strength Coach
Rehab 101: A Coaches Guide to Rehab
The strength coach and personal trainer should play a central role in any rehabilitation process. However, many fitness professionals are unsure of how they can safely and effectively contribute to the athlete’s rehab team. In Kevin’s presentation, he will cover a principle based approach to training the injured athlete and discuss how we as personal trainers and strength and conditioning coaches can serve as a valuable part of a rehabilitation team to help the athlete reach their goal of returning to the field of play.
ALWYN COSGROVE, CSCS
• Owner of Results Fitness, a complete fitness programming and consulting service
• Founder of ResultsFitnessUniversity.com
• One of the Country’s most sought-after fitness professionals
Program Design Evolution for the 2020 Client
Today’s client has changed. Their lives have changed. They arrive in worse shape than they did just 10 years ago. The gym may be their ONLY physical activity. To serve the needs of this new client the fitness profession needs to evolve – and quickly. In this session Alwyn shares the secrets of creating training programs that guarantee results for the changing needs of today’s new client.
RACHEL COSGROVE,CSCS, CISSN
• Co-owns and operates Results Fitness, named one of the top ten gyms in the US by Men’s Health
• 2012 IDEA Personal Trainer of the Year
• Consultant for Nike, Livestrong.com, and Women’s Health
The Female Body Breakthrough Over 40
Beginning in their 30’s women can lose muscle and bone mass every year while gaining body fat, putting themselves at risk for a number of diseases. Fortunately, as fitness professionals we can have a huge impact on this demographic. In fact, women over 40 can be one of the most rewarding client types for a coach to work with. Join Rachel as she shares the proven, real-world coaching tools and programming strategies that help her female clients overcome psychological barriers and maximize their physical potential in their 40’s -- and beyond.
MICHOL DALCOURT, CFC, PTS
• Founder of IoM and ViPR PRO
• Co-Founder of PTA Global
• Past Adjunct Faculty (Sport Science) - University of San Francisco
Dead Starts for Strength and Power
Generating force from a dead position is a fundamental task of life and sport. Those that do it with competency have tremendous physical advantage over those who do not. It results in an increase in Starting Strength, and all of us, must possess it. Many do not. In this interactive session, Michol will explore the vital function of lifting and shifting mass from a dead position, both for strength and power. An ability we all need whether an elite athlete or elderly individual. Sadly, we don’t train it enough.
JOHN D'AMICO, PT, ATC, TPI
• Physical Therapist, Athletic Trainer and Certified TPI Golf Fitness
• Over 20 years experience training and treating the senior population
• Current and 2 time Golf Digest Top 50 Golf Fitness Instructor In America
Optimizing the Aging Client
The older client can be a bit of an enigma to trainers. This presentation will help trainers sift through how they are alike and different from their younger counterparts, allowing the trainer to safely guide them to optimal fitness and independence down the road.
VINCENT GABRIELE, MS, CSCS, IYCA
• CEO at Vince Gabriele Media
• Author of 6 Fitness Business Books including The Ultimate Guide To Marketing Your Gym And The Ultimate Guide to Sales For Your Gym
• Founder of New Jersey Based Personal Training Gym, Gabriele Fitness And Performance
Complete Sales Mastery: How to Get More Clients, Charge the Prices You Deserve and Get An Unfair Advantage Over Your Competition
Discover the Sales Secrets That Will Boost Your Personal Income, Maximize Your Free Time And Help You Create Life Changing Stories With Your Clients. Vince Will Deliver Cutting Edge And Incredibly Effective Sales Strategies…Brought To You After 20 Years Of In-The-Trenches Experience…So You Can Have A Prosperous Career In The Fitness Industry. (Lecture Only)
JENA GATSES, PT, LMT, SFMA, CSCS
• Owner of Scientific Fitness
• Former Physical Therapist and Strength & Conditioning Coach for 6 NASCAR Teams
• Performance Coach & Injury Specialist for Pro Sports Teams, Pro Athletes, UFC, X-Games, Motocross, USA Cycling Team and Elite CEO’s and celebrities
Recovery: Are You Even Doing It Right?
Our industry is flooded with new fitness trends, fads, and people wanting a “quick fix” all while trying to take the easy way out, but do these methods even work? As experts in our field, we need to deliver knowledge that is supported by science and clinical experience versus opinions created from the latest trends. In this session, Dr. Gatses will show you how to filter through the latest and most advanced ways to work smarter, not harder, to get the most out of your sessions while keeping your clients feeling good and coming back for more! Come learn why recovery is so important and how you can use it to enhance all aspects of human performance.
• 2-Time Golf Digest Top 50 Golf Fitness Professional
• Founder of Ali-Gilbert.com and MetabolicGolf.com offering remote and local training/health coaching services to alter body composition and optimize metabolism
• Featured in Muscle & Fitness as well as various other publications on the topic of testosterone, metabolism & golf fitness
Toggling the Metabolism: Strategies for The Stubborn Fat Loss Client
As health and fitness professionals, we know how to help people to lose weight. We’re good at that. Where we have failed is helping people keep it off. Today with resources to track everything from sleep, to steps, to food and training, we are ironically more sedentary than ever before. We struggle to maintain hard-earned fat loss. In fact, only 5% of the population can keep weight off after 3 years of “dieting”. In this talk Ali provides a sustainable approach to fat loss using real science, effective strategies and practical methods designed to achieve lasting results.
JOHN GRAHAM, MS, ACSM EP-C CSCS*D, RSCC*D, FNSCA
• Senior Network Administrator, Fitness & Sports Performance, St. Luke's University Health Network, Pennsylvania & New Jersey
• Lectures regionally, nationally and internationally in the fields of sports performance, medical fitness & health fitness
• Chapter Author for several books on Athletic Performance, Fitness & Chronic Disease, and Disability Management & Fitness
Astonish Your Clients With Plans That Maximize Outcomes
Energize your fellow colleagues and yourself to develop training platforms for your participants that enable them to maximize their goals and objectives with results oriented outcomes. Discover user friendly quantifiable practices and systems to serve an array of fitness & athletic participants while supporting a branded style. This session will offer means and methods to enable fitness and athletic participants to maximize their fitness and sports performance capability. Attendees will leave the hands-on session with progressive practices for training their clientele.
JOSH HENKIN, CSCS
• CEO, Ultimate Sandbag Training and Creator of the Ultimate Sandbag and the Dynamic Variable Resistance Training System
• Has been teaching continuing education programs for over 15 years in 13 countries, including kettlebells in Russia
• Consulted and created programs for all populations from US Marines, to Division 1 programs, to hospital wellness programs
Train the Planes to Connect the Chains
Our bodies don't just move up and down in real life or in sport. Yet, the great majority of fitness and performance programs are so largely sagittal plane-based you’d think we move in limited ways. Training the other planes of motion not only provides variety, research points to multi-planar strength being essential in developing resilience and greater performance. In order to be effective this type of training it can’t be done haphazardly. In this session, Josh shows you how to systemize and progress the most important training variable that most of us still ignore.
IAN JEFFREYS, PhD, RSCC*E, CSCS*D, ASCC, FNSCA, FUKSCA
• Recognized as one of the United Kingdom’s leading strength and conditioning coaches and worldwide authority on speed and agility development
• Author of eight books including Gamespeed, Effective Coaching in Strength & Conditioning and The Warm-Up
• Former Vice President of the NSCA and was on the Board of Directors of the UKSCA and the NSCA
Forget Speed & Agility, Think GameSpeed: Opening New Avenues to Give Your Athletes the Edge
The question we are often asked by athletes is can you make me faster. Typically, what they mean by this is not simply getting faster on a test, but crucially faster on the field. This is crucial, as once we start to think of Gamespeed it opens up new avenues of training that can give our athletes the edge, whatever their sport. This presentation and practical will look at how to use a Gamespeed approach to transform your speed and agility development.
MARC LEBERT, NLP
• CFO of Lebert Fitness, a global leader in the development of training tools
New Training Tools for Your Bootcamps and Group Training
Your training is about the change with new ways to combine strength and HIIT training! Experience updated bodyweight training methods, tools and programming to make your sessions effective, challenging for all levels and engaging! (Hands-On Only)
INGRID MARCUM, CSCS
• Over 20 years as a high performance coach, including USA Field Hockey Women’s National Team, NCAA D-I, and as owner of BGB Fitness
• Former multi-sport elite athlete: USA Bobsled Olympic alternate 2010, USA Weightlifting 2009 National champion and 2004 & 2008 Olympic Trials competitor, NCAA D-I All-Conference gymnast, IHGF Highland Games Amateur World Championships
• International speaker, educator, writer and independent consultant to organizations including the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team and Girls Gone Strong
Becoming Unshakeable: Building Mental and Physical Resilience
Resilience is one of the key factors of long-term success and longevity. Consistent progress and high performance depend on the ability to successfully overcome challenges ¬— from developing structural integrity in order to handle the volumes and loads of regular training to successfully navigating and moving forward through bigger obstacles, such as injuries and significant life events. Too often, the best plans and even previous progress get derailed by large and small setbacks, mistakes, difficulties, injuries and unexpected events. Learn to develop the tools to be better prepared physically and mentally to handle these inevitable challenges, take ownership of your commitments and mindset, and set yourself, your athletes and clients up for higher levels of performance – both in training and in life. Become unshakeable!
• Founder and CEO of Alloy Personal Training
• Owner of Alloy Personal Training, conducting over 60,000 personal training sessions a year
• Licensed his business and training systems to over 2,000 clubs worldwide and has now moved to a full franchise model
K.I.S.S. – Achieve More by Doing Less
What if I told you that to achieve more, earn more money and grow personally and professionally you actually need to do LESS?!? That may be hard to believe in a culture that promotes getting on the "grind" and that you have to be a "warrior" to thrive. I'm here to tell you that less is more! Brilliant business minds like Warren Buffet and Steve Jobs would agree. I will share my failures and successes going from personal trainer to business owner to working with thousands of clubs worldwide. I will explain how to simplify your offerings, your training systems and your business. (Lecture Only)
• NASM Master Instructor and Under Armour Training Team
• Former Athletic Trainer & Strength Coach: NFL, AFL and several Hollywood sports films
Planes, Trains and Automobiles: Holding Space, Layman’s Anatomy and the Analogies That Make Principles Stick
For the most part, traditional coaching happens on a horizontal plane - coaches assist their clients in getting from point A to point B. Yet life-long change almost always happens in the vertical plane - a deepening of the client’s ground of being; a higher respect of self and better access to inner wisdom. During this unique session, Brian will explore many wonderful games and exercises that facilitate honest, whole-hearted communication and challenge our vulnerabilities, thoughts, motions and emotions. If you believe in the power of coaching-with-heart and the magic of connection then do not miss this one.
• Founder of the National Fitness Business Alliance
• Internationally acclaimed presenter and consultant
• Considered by many to be the most influential person working in the fitness business industry today
The Biggest Mistakes You Will Make in Your Career and Your Life
Coaching for a living is a tough job that burns up many good people. The average coach in the U.S. today only lasts about four years and is gone, giving up the dream of living their life doing what he or she loved the most. There are common mistakes we all make that work to end your career. You will face risk, money issues, challenges in career direction and a handful of other career breakers that can take you down if you are not prepared. This workshop is about anticipating and surviving the biggest mistakes a coach will make in your career and maybe your life too. If you are a working coach struggling in your career, trapped on a path going nowhere, or fighting to make the money you think you deserve, then this is the one workshop you will want to attend. (Lecture Only)
JENNIFER REINER-MARCELLO, DC, CCSP, FIAMA, CSCS
• Currently the reconditioning and performance therapist for the Minnesota Twins and former rehabilitation specialist for the San Diego
• Former chiropractor and rehabilitation coordinator for Todd Durkin’s Fitness Quest 10
• Former team chiropractor for University of California San Diego athletics
Assess, Don’t Guess!
Whether you are in the fitness, strength and conditioning, or medical arena, assessing your client/patient must be the first step before programming, training, or treatment. In this lecture and hands-on session, we will explore some of the “big rocks” to assessing movement, and how you can then leverage this information to achieve better outcomes.
• Owner of PatRigsby.com
• Owned and led over 25 different fitness and sports performance businesses including two different award winning fitness franchises
• Owned and led over 25 different fitness and sports performance businesses
• Leads Mastermind and Coaching Groups for fitness business owners to grow their clientele, increase their income, improve their impact and build their Ideal Business
Creating Your Referral Marketing Machine
We all want a referral-driven business, but asking for referrals can often seem like a daunting task. It doesn’t have to be. In this presentation, Pat will teach you simple methods to consistently generate referrals, build relationships and grow your business without ever feeling like you need to become a marketing expert or asking your clients to ‘sell’ their friends. You’ll be able to competition-proof your business by never running out of high-quality prospects again by applying what you learn in this presentation. (Lecture Only)
MARTIN ROONEY, MHS, PT, CSCS
• Founder of Training For Warriors, with over 300 affiliate locations in 28 countries
• Certified over 4,000 trainers worldwide in the Training For Warriors Certification
• Consultant to numerous Professional Sport Teams, Division I Universities, Fortune 500 companies and Military Organizations
Coach to Coach: 7 Lessons to Help More People Get Better Results
Over the last 20 years, Martin has coached thousands of athletes and clients to high level performance. In this inspiring lecture, Martin shares the secrets of improving your coaching style to create a better community in your programs. Getting that culture in place is an absolute pre-requisite to sharing all of your training and nutrition knowledge. During his high-energy hands-on, Martin will demonstrate the principles of coaching to increase connection and drive better results.
MARCO SANCHEZ, CPT, LMT, CFSC
• Owner of Happy Hour, a Boston-based network of coaches specializing in personal training and sports performance
• Formally a senior coach at Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning (2009-2019)
• Formally the Senior Educator at Certified Functional Strength Coach and Clinic Director at Movement as Medicine (2015-2019)
Conditioning: The Head, the Heart and the Why
This presentation is an intelligent approach on designing effective conditioning programs. We will explore the science and evaluation of the heart, and how to design intelligent conditioning programs for longevity and performance. Stop guessing with random intervals and bouts of conditioning, and learn how to create based on the individual physiology of the clients you interact with.
DANA SANTAS, E-RYT, CSCS
• Breathing, Mobility & Mind/Body Coach for many professional sports teams as well as law enforcement, military special forces, first responders, and veterans
• Best-selling Author of the Book “Practical Solutions for Back Pain Relief” (Althea Press 2018) and dozens of published articles)
• Creator of the YIT (Yoga-Inspired Training) Method for Athletes Coaching Certification
Making Mobility Training More Effective in Your Programming
During her nearly two decades as the “Mobility Maker” in pro sports, Dana has experienced firsthand what works and what doesn’t with mobility training. In this session, she’ll share why context, not sport specificity, is the key to efficacy. You’ll learn why the same mobility exercises can be highly effective for different athletes across different sports with different training programs, by using context-dependent modifications. By breaking down fundamental mobility exercises and their potential applications, she'll show you how to identify context (needs/goals, individual/group, environment, schedule, etc.) to determine appropriate application.
MICHAEL SILVA, MS, PT, CSCS
• Creator of RUNstrong®: educational programming for runners and those who work with runners
• Nationally recognized physical therapist and exercise physiologist with 20 years of experience in the running world
• Owner of FOUNDATION Performance Sports Medicine: physical therapy practice operating in two states with 4 clinics
From Beginner to Olympian: How to be Successful Working with Runners
Runners are a huge part of our population (50 million strong) and a great niche market for many fitness professionals. Learn how to be a health and performance asset to these motivated athletes. Build awareness of foundational health needs and learn running specific strength. Michael Silva has 20 years of experience in this industry and has presented nationally on these topics.
LEE TAFT, MS, CSCS, USATF LEVEL 1
• Owner of Lee Taft Athletic Consulting
• Lectures to coaches, schools, and organizations both nationally and internationally on athletic development principles
• Consultant to many athletes, coaches, and teams on the development of multi-directional speed programs
The Reactive Tier System for Speed
It is time we realize that an athletes speed is a product of a task and the environment. The drills we use in a training facility are often so distant from the actualization of how an athlete will move in sport. Allow me to share with you a system that all coaches, including you, can use in its entirety or seamlessly fit into your own system to increase an athletes court, field, ice, or track speed. Learn how perception and predictability play a tremendous role in great athletic speed. The hands on will change your approach to teaching speed forever!
FRANK VELASQUEZ JR., ATC, CSCS
• Internationally recognized expert in strength and conditioning, sports medicine, high performance and recovery
• Director of Sports Performance for the Allegheny Health Network (Pittsburgh, PA)
• Former Athletic Trainer and Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Texas Rangers, Pittsburgh Pirates and Team USA Gold Medal winner for the 2017 World Baseball Classic
Foundation Building Blocks for All
Learn “foundation” movements and exercise routines that can be used with general fitness, developing youth, active adult and performing athlete client populations. Routines to be performed prior to more intense exercise, strength training and/or competition that will help correct skeletal alignment and muscle imbalances resulting in a reduced risk for injury and performance enhancement. The “hands on” session will focus on safe and effective use of open and closed chain exercises to build strength and stability in the pelvic, scapular and lumbar spine areas of the body.
LANCE WALKER, MS, PT
• Vice President and Global Director of Michael Johnson Performance
• Over 25 years of professional experience (i.e., making and learning from mistakes) while training, testing, and rehabilitating thousands of athletes across all ages and sports, including many of the fastest athletes to walk the planet in the last 20 years
• Diverse background of "practice" in research, physical therapy, performance training, and strength & conditioning spanning across high school, collegiate, Olympic, and professional sport
Speed Up to Minimize Slowing Down: Applications of Angular Speed Training to Attack the Deceleration Epidemic in Sport
Injuries, getting beat, being exposed as "too slow" in game situations despite having "good speed"...these are all the things that happen when athletes "slow down" (decelerate). Ask yourself if the current methods of deceleration training are making a difference in your athletes. Is your approach to training deceleration open to, or in need of any revisions? Instead of training "the brakes", can we look at speed training progressions to "accelerate" deceleration in our athletes? Bring an open-mind and willingness to think differently about movement training as we journey down some rabbit-holes, ask some hard questions of our current programming, and openly consider some ongoing and unanswered questions about deceleration, and experience some practical applications of Angular Speed Training progressions as one potential tool to use in the fight against "slowing down".
CHARLIE WEINGROFF, DPT, ATC, CSCS
• World Renowned Physical Therapist and Performance Coach
• Director of Physical Performance, Men's Canadian National Basketball Team
• Former Strength & Conditioning Coach, Philadelphia 76ers, NBA
Lessons Learned From 10 Years on Tour
10 years ago, Charlie debuted on the Perform Better circuit. Like all Perform Better speakers, Charlie has kept up with his own learning and growth. In this talk, Charlie tackles some of the most controversial topics of the last 10 years. He’ll describe how he has changed his position on many approaches in training and rehab and discuss his perspective on “growing up” as a speaker on the Perform Better tour.
CHUCK WOLF, MS, FAFS
• Director of Sport Science & Human Performance for Human Motion Associates
• Consults with clients ranging from the rehabilitation setting to professional athletes of the highest skill levels, including many of the top 50 golfers on the PGA & LPGA tours
• Considered one of the industry’s leading authorities on functional anatomy and program design
Shouldering the Load from the Ground Up
We are all athletes whether it is in the field of athletics of the field of life. Shoulder injuries often result from limitations that develop within other regions of the body and then compensated by the shoulder girdle. Learn how important hip and thoracic function are to allow the shoulder successful movements. Develop strategies to improve shoulder function that is applicable for both athletes and those that do not partake in sports.
Perform Better's Functional Training Summit is designed to provide trainers, coaches, and therapists with a combination of lectures and hands-on learning experience with many of the top professionals in the industry.
The presenters will include many of the most respected names in training, conditioning, and rehabilitation.
Attendees will have a choice of two lectures and two hands-on sessions every 90 minutes. Sign up for each presentation is not required; however, space may be limited for select hands-on sessions. Friday night complimentary social with the opportunity to network and exchange ideas
Feature presentation, question and answer session. Centrally located in beautiful Orlando, FL.
Personal Trainers, Physical Therapists, Athletic Trainers, Coaches & anyone interested in learning more about the latest concepts in Functional Training and Rehabilitation.
NSCA - 1.8
NASM - TBD
A full refund can be issued if cancelled 21 days prior to the event.